Friday, November 16, 2007

Artist: Khan
Song: Jet Lounge Blues
Album: 1-900-Get-Khan


From: Mark Ambrose Harris

I think I started using music during sex less as a mood setting, but more so as a sort of sonic camouflage. I didn't want my boyfriend's roomates to hear us, so I would always insist on having music on. Though, looking back at the situation, I don't know if Bjork's Vespertine, or The Hidden Camera's Missassauga Goddamn were necessarily loud enough albums to serve such a "soundproofing" purpose.

More recently, in my own apartment, I would actually turn my stereo speakers towards my roomates' rooms whenever my partner and I were engaged in any sort of sexual activity. One album I started using was Khan's 1-900-Get-Khan. But besides just being music to drown out our own noise, I began to appreciate the sonic palate of the album as kind of sexy, sleazy, moody, and bodily. I've actually used this recording quite a bit. So now whenever my partner hears the album's opening track, Jet Lounge Blues, he knows what I have in mind.

No comments: