Sunday, December 2, 2007

Artist: The Cure
Song:The Same Deep Water As You
Album: Disintegration


From: Skye Maule-O'Brien

I'm a white woman who identifies as straight....

Um so I have old school sex and more contemporary ones....

The older one actually comes from a really important album by the Cure- Disintegration. I have the CD and still listen to it - I havetransferred the CD onto a mini-disc with about 5 other albums thatsort of conjure up the same feelings - but not all the same way - some are a lot more positive than others.I would have to say "The Same Deep Water as You", from the albumDisintegration is probably the most special, but other important onesare the songs "Disintegration", "Plainsong" and "Untitled" on the samealbum. To me the songs are about sexual power, loss, pain, and my ownidentity as I was maturing into a sexually active young women. At thetime I was dealing with a lot of sadness, intense feelings andemotions that at the time I did not know how to deal with. When Ilisten to this album now it is more about empowerment through myexperiences and learning about myself and how to learn to love mydeeper darker sides that maybe not everyone shares. The references todeath, rebirth and water all really speak to me personally. Buthonestly this is a side of me almost NO ONE ever gets to hear about -it's definitely the serious intimate side of my sexuality, but it'snot the only side of me.

The more contemporary CD that I like and is also on the mini-disc Icreated a couple years back. It is Lovage, by Dan the Automator, MikePatton, Jennifer Charles, Kid Koala. The album is called 'Music toMake Love to Your Old Lady By" ... and he isn't joking around! Thereare 2 songs on that album that really touched me in my heart and clitoris! hahah! no but serious they are very sexy songs. "Sex (I'ma)" is probably my favorite for sexiness and hotness and then "AngerManagement" is the other good one. These are much more positive in myown sexual memory, compared to my younger more troubled Cure years.Also it speaks more about the person I am now I guess - but stillholds a special, sexy, and emotional place in my heart.

I have a lot of other less serious songs and music that I associatewith sex, sexuality and empowerment - like some George Michael, SaltN' Peppa, N.E.R.D. Sade, Depeche Mode, Air, Felix da house cat, Lordsof Acid, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult (actually very important inthe earlier years too), but I guess because sex is an intimate encounter and also reaches deep into parts of my head that I find hardto articulate I felt it was more important for me to share songs thatmove me emotionally as well as sexually. The Cure is probably less connected to SEX than Lovage is, but both are connected to my sexuality.

No comments: